Tuesday 31 March 2015

Great hair without a Shampoo

I have tried all types of shampoos and come to the conclusion that they damage the quality of hair in the long term. One shampoo from a well known multinational even induced hair fall some years ago. When that happened I started using the so called “natural shampoos”, but did not find them any better. I have finally come to the conclusion that it is best to use stuff that makes hair good from the inside providing chemical free nourishment. This strategy is the best but a little difficult to implement.


This is what I use now. I massage my head and oil the hair with edible grade coconut oil once a week. After applying the oil leave it in for half an hour then wash with a regular soap. The daily routine I follow is I wet my hair with milk and cover the hair with a cloth for 10 minutes and then wash it with a regular soap. This makes my hair soft. After washing out the milk I apply juice of one lime and a little glycerin mixed in some water. Leave it in for a minute and then rinse without soap or shampoo. This makes the hair shine. I haven’t used a shampoo for many years and my hair is easy to manage, soft and shiny.

There is lots of other stuff you can use for great hair. We can replace coconut oil massage with other oils. But I will recommend only non-cosmetic edible grade oils. I have tried sesame seed oil and mustard oil but have found best results with coconut oil. Plain Yogurt is also great for hair. Flat beer gives a great sheen to hair. For scalp health one can use neem leaves. Take a handful of neem leaves and boil them in water. Strain the water and massage it into the scalp when cool. This is great for boils and fungal growths on the scalp. Fungal growths can induce baldness. Fresh neem leaves are easy to find in India. They are available in dried form but I have never tried using them in dried form.

1 comment: